Upcoming Events

There are currently no events
View All Events

2025 Incidents
Jan 17
Feb 14
Mar 19
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec
Total 50

2024 Incidents
Jan 11
Feb 5
Mar 14
Apr 20
May 15
Jun 14
Jul 11
Aug 14
Sep 9
Oct 13
Nov 16
Dec 15
Total 157

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
February 22, 2022
212,248
Visitors Today
Apr 04, 2025
184

History

 

After three devastating fires in 1892, 1909, and 1943, talks of forming a fire department began to mount. On December 11, 1949, a group of citizens met to discuss plans to form a fire department for the borough of Ashville and surrounding communities. Through their tireless efforts and the cooperation of the Patton and Gallitzin Fire Companies, the Cambria County Court chartered the Ashville Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 on April 24, 1950.

On July 25, 1950, plans for a two-bay fire station on Liberty Street were approved, and the construction was completed later that year. The first apparatus owned by the company was a 1929 American LaFrance chemical truck purchased from the Patton Fire Company. In 1951, a 1937 Seagrave pumper was purchased and placed in service. In 1952 a dodge chassis was purchased, and a fire body and pump were installed before placing it into service.

In July of 1952, construction began on the Fireman’s Recreation Hall on Pine Street. The hall was finished in 1954 and was used for fundraising roller-skating, and was home to the Ashville Drum and Bugle Corps. In 1954 the company offered the additional service of providing ambulance service to its residents. The first ambulance was purchased in 1955. In April of 1958, in desperate need of a new pumper, the company took delivery of a Seagrave Pumper with a 750-gallon per minute pump.

In 1972 International-Bruco pumper was purchased with a 750-tank. Again in 1981 another 750-gallon International-Bruco pumper was purchased, but this one would include a 1500-gallon-per-minute pump. Due to the larger apparatus, in 1992, construction on a four-bay fire station began on Pine Street next to the Recreation Hall. The new station would include a large meeting room, several offices, and equipment storage rooms. In 1992 the company was the host of the Volunteer Fireman’s Association of Cambria County and Vicinity Convention.

A 1986 GMC 3000-gallon tanker was purchased in 1993. An HME-4Guys Rescue Pumper was purchased in 1997, the company’s first custom cab fire apparatus. It would feature a 1500-gallon per minute pump, 750-gallon water tank, Hurst tools, and other kinds of rescue equipment. In 2000, a 1986 International-4Guys 3000-gallon Tanker was placed into service.

In 2007 Recreation Hall was renovated, adding an entryway, installing new metal siding, replacing windows, and refurnishing the oak floor. It was dedicated to the first president, Frank Lato for over 60 years of service to the department. In 2008 the company would also take delivery on a 1500-gallon tank HME-4Guys Pumper Tanker. It would be equipped with a 2250-gallon per minute pump, 60 feet of hard suction hose, and a unique priming system to allow a draft to be pulled off all 4 sides of the apparatus at any given time, even after water was flowing. In 2009 the company would again host the Volunteer Fireman’s Association of Cambria County and Vicinity Convention.

In 2013 the company purchased a 1989 80-foot E-One Stratosphere Ladder Truck, the very first aerial apparatus to be owned by the company.

In 2017 the Frank Lato Recreational Hall suffered a water leak, requiring all the original oak flooring to be replaced. A new heated concrete floor was installed by the membership to help pipes from freezing again in the future.

In 2018 the Company would upgrade to a 2004 American LaFrance Ladder Truck. This truck features a 100’ main ladder, 2 outriggers, a 500-gallon water tank, 750gpm pump, and over 240’ of complementary ground ladders.

In 2019 the company would take delivery of a 2019 Spartan-4Guys Rescue Pumper. It would feature a 2000-gallon per minute pump, an 1800-gallon water tank, two full sets of Hurst hydraulic rescue tools, and nine pre-connected handlines.

In 2021 the interior of the fire station was completely renovated. New paint was applied throughout the entire station, all trim was restrained, a new Fire Line Officer’s office was added, and two bunk rooms were added to prepare for on-duty staffing.

The department provides fire, rescue, and QRS services to over 6,000 residents in the boroughs of Ashville and Chest Springs, and the townships of Allegheny, Clearfield, Dean, and Gallitzin.

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Ashville Volunteer Fire Company
127 Pine St
Ashville, PA 16613
Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 814-944-2354
E-mail: info@ashvillefire60.org
Copyright © 2025 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)